Sunday, September 4, 2011

Black and White series China 2010-2011 | 黑白画2010-2011年

Okee-dokie. Here's a few of the paintings which I deem presentable. I painted these using Chinese black ink on rice paper, used a bamboo brush and everything.
I painted these during the year plus period I stayed and studied in China. All are portraits of a sort and figurative. Some were wrought from an Oral History project I was attached to while in JiangXi Province. Some were from my own musings about Chinese strategy games. Some were still from people who affected me.

I would either take pictures then sketch drawings from those pictures before painting, or I would sketch from life and then use the sketches as reference when painting. My goal was to explore a free-form, plein-air feeling. I wanted to paint from memory and feeling while exploring technique rather than trying to emulate and capture a picture exactly.

Enjoy 'em, critique 'em. These will appear in my applications and graduate portfolio, so I care what you "laymen" have to say. :P


Sweet Margot - Beijing 2010

Smoking Korean Girl - Beijing 2011

Old Red Guard - Jiangxi 2010

New Friends - Ji'an 2010

Man with Hair - Jiangxi 2010

Mandy Cha - Ji'an 2010

Indecision - Beijing 2010

Colleague - Beijing 2010

Céline GungFu - TianTan 2011

men playing cards
Living in the Past - Ji'an 2010

crone
3 or more Play Pai - Ji'an 2010






No comments:

Post a Comment